frequently asked questions

Get quick answers to Office 365-related questions below. If you still have questions, get O365 support.

What is my username?

The username you use to log into your email on all platforms (desktop/laptop, web, mobile) is [myNortheastern username]@northeastern.edu. For example, if your myNortheastern username is kinghusky, your new email login username is kinghusky@northeastern.edu. This is your Office 365 username and it will be used to access all Office 365 services.

What is my password?

Your password is your myNortheastern password.

I have forgotten my password. How can I get a new one?

Call 617.373.HELP (x4357) for assistance with forgotten passwords or any other issues. To simply reset your password, follow the instructions for student accounts, or for faculty, staff, and other accounts.

What is Office 365 ProPlus?

It is the Northeastern license that allows Northeastern students, faculty and staff to download the Office suites.  

How is Office 365 ProPlus different from the version of Office that I normally install?

Office 365 ProPlus is a subscription model, which means that the most recent version of the Office suite will be available at all times for download or upgrade, while you are employed or enrolled at Northeastern.

How does the download of Office 365 ProPlus work?

Log in to the Office 365 portal at portal.office.com and click “Install Office” to download. Microsoft will automatically identify the version needed for your device and then take you through the installation process. Use your Office 365 credentials to download the O365 apps.

How do I log in to the Office 365 Portal?

The process for logging into the Office 365 web portal can be a confusing one because the required login credentials differ from those entered for most other Northeastern University login portals. This article will walk you through this process in order to facilitate a more seamless login to one of the most useful tools ITS has to offer the Northeastern community.

To begin signing in to the online office 365 page, visit this link, which will bring you to a Northeastern University branded login page.

Once you’ve reached the page, enter your username using the following format:

myNortheasternUsername@northeastern.edu

Please note that the email username you enter may be different than your Northeastern faculty, staff, or student email address.

Next, enter your password, which should be the password you enter for logging into the myNortheastern portal.

Click “Sign In.”

I am a retiree from Northeastern. Can I choose to retain my email account after leaving the university?

Yes. As part of Human Resources Management’s retirement process, eligible faculty and staff retain their university-owned email address and account. Participating retirees access this account via a web browser (OWA), or they can configure an email client.

Personal address books are not automatically preserved at retirement. Retirees for whom a personal address book is essential should export personal address books prior to leaving the university.

If you are a retiree and would prefer not to receive this service, please contact the IT Service Desk at 617.373.HELP (x4357). Please be aware that if you opt out of this service, all content within your email account will be permanently deleted.

Where do I access the Office 365 Outlook Web App (OWA)?

Visit outlook.northeastern.edu.

Log in with your Office 365 username ([myNortheastern username]@northeastern.edu) and your myNortheastern password.

Why do I get a prompt from Duo when logging into my Office 365 apps?

Office 365 at Northeastern is protected by Duo, the university’s two-factor authentication service provider. For more information about the university’s 2FA requirement, visit Get2FA.northeastern.edu